It’s just shy of 3am, and she’s asleep now, still wearing the mask you see on her in the photo below. She’s getting her second albuterol breathing treatment of the night from the nice folks at Children’s Hospital. The nurse who got the albuterol started a while ago said she’s rarely seen a toddler so willing to wear the thing without a fuss, and to breathe in the medicine. But G seems to know that this makes her feel better, so she’s been very cooperative.
G just seems to catch every single virus that comes anywhere neat her, and to get it worse than her siblings and cousins ever did/do. Only 14 months ago, she and I spent December 24th thru the 26th at Children’s (Jon stayed at home to keep Christmas up and running for the other kids) because she had caught some nasty, unnamed virus that left her weak and dehydrated.
And now here we are back again. She’s been battling a horrible cough and sore throat for over a month. At one point, we thought it had finally gone away, but only a week later it came back, worse. So our pediatrician started her on a round of amoxicillin, deciding that the congestion from the virus had hatched an infection. The antibiotic was like magic. She immediately felt SO much better, and was jollier than I’d seen her all winter. She finished the amoxicillin yesterday, and then this morning, Jon noticed that she’d started coughing again. By evening she was miserably ill, and when we tried to get her to bed, it became clear that not only was she coughing and (now) vomiting, but she was also struggling to breathe. When steam and Vicks did nothing, and her breathing seemed worse, we decided that I should take her to the ER at Children’s.
That was 5 hours ago. They’ve determined that she doesn’t have RSV or mycoplasma, but she is pretty well sick. Her oxygen sat numbers are hovering around 90. They gave her an albuterol breathing treatment at about midnight that made her feel SO much better for several hours. I thought we’d be going home.
Here she is feeling pretty good between the two breathing treatments.
But then the wheezing and chest tightness started again and now they’ve told us they will be admitting her. But before we are taken to her room, she’s having another breathing treatment – an hour long this time – and they also gave her oral prednisone, which seems to have made her sleepy.
I hate seeing her feel so bad. But I am SO consciously grateful that I am able to access good medical care for her.
Hopefully, we will be home within 24 hours this time. I have my fingers crossed.
Update 5:30 am: I think I’ve convinced the awesome ER doc to let me take her home to give the breathing treatments and prednisone to her there. We live really close to the hospital and I promised we will come back immediately if she gets worse or stops responding to the albuterol.
Update 1pm Saturday: She’s feeling very cheery and her breathing is waaaay better from the ongoing albuterol, etc. She keeps telling us how the doctor took, “GOOOD care of me!”